Darryl Denicola's Best Ever Experience Working With Red Cross

I once read a quote by boxing legend Muhammad Ali while in school “service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth” and somewhere it stayed ingrained in my memory forever. While I grew up as an average American kid I always felt an inner call telling me “Darryl Denicola, you need to make difference in the lives of others.” After graduating in Chemistry and working with a lab in Louisiana where I didn’t find enough motivation I volunteered with Red Cross and went to China. It was a life changing experience working with the community and one that has made me the person that I am.




The Best Experience I Ever Had


It happened somewhere during the middle of my stint in China. As usual I was accompanying a medical team visiting a remote part of the country far away from fast developing China that we all refer to at present. In a rural settlement a young girl was suffering from tuberculosis. The girl smiled at me, walked a few steps towards me and said something in Chinese. My Chinese colleague said she wanted wear my cap. I gave it to her inscribing ‘With Love from Darryl Denicola’ and asked my Chinese friend to tell her that she can keep the cap. She rushed back inside the house and came back with a rice hat and asked me to keep it.  I hesitated, but she replied ‘you have come from far away to care for us; I just want to say thanks.” This one incident reminded me of Ali’s quote and how true each of those words is.  During my remaining stay I had great experienced but none were as special as this one. 

Do I Miss Those Days?


The experience of working with Red Cross in China is surely one that I always refer to as it taught me real lessons in life. But do I miss those days now that I am back in my country? The answer is both ‘Yes’ and ‘No’. Yes as it was quite an amazing span in my life when I would see smile in faces of young kids and felt language was no barrier when human beings communicate with love and compassion. It was one of those things that you can only experience when you volunteer for a cause. But I have come back with a sense of accomplishment having served people in whatever little way I could. Giving another chance you will see Darryl Denicola doing this again. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Highly Recommended List of Profile Creation 2017

Christmas Celebrations 2017 Around The World

Top 5 Tips to be a Softball Player